how to generate more revenue from low traffic website

It’s roughly three months since I wrote about the project site (original post), and it’s time to take a peek how the site is doing. I admit that I’m still being extremely lazy/busy, and have done lots of things most would consider the opposite of a successful SEO / blog building campaign.  For example, I write new content approx. once a week, I do only random directory submissions and I don’t actively try to blend Adsense inside the content.

With this kind of maintenance you would think the would be dead, and the webmaster starving. How true it would be if this was the only source of income. However, as I've noted in the past, this project is purely experimental - and the results are suprisingly good.  As a summary I can say the traffic has increased approx. 30% each month, and AdSense income has increased approx 25% each month.

I've previously explained some of the methods that can be used to generate additional Adsense revenue from a low traffic site, and now it’s time to take those issues further. 

On the background I’ve been collecting lots of statistical information about user behaviour. This is a method I prefer to call “skimming the milk”. With the project site I use a simple solution composed of:
  • Web server log files  - any web server can produce these
  • Log of adSense clicks (what, where,when) – I use AdLogger for this, though there are better, commercial alternatives.
  • Information on how much each AdSense click generated - There is a small inaccuracy due to the way AdSense statitics work, but IMO it’s acceptable. 
When you take a combination of these and drill down from a specific angle, you get lots of valuable information - like what pages are the best performers in terms of clicks, what ROI each keyword has, etc. When looking at information like this, it doesn’t take much imagination to find out new means and methods to make the site even more successful and profitable.

Need some examples?  What makes this single page so special that it has over 10% CTR? Or why does the keyphrase “Designer Cell phones” lead to over 20% CTR on average?

As always, feel free to share your comments and questions.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete